Monday, April 6, 2009

Goshawk again, back for dinner

This Goshawk has found a good dining spot at my chicken coop and run. I actually am keeping the chickens in and have too many roosters. My large Rhode Island Red rooster died of old age and I put it out in the aspens to see if the Goshawk ate carrion chickens as well as fresh chickens. IT DID.

It spent about 3 days working on the carcass. It would drag it under cover to eat and then revisited until it finished the chicken. Very interesting, defeathering the chicken is what took the longest. I don't know why, but it took all the feathers off before it got into the entrails. What a mess. My scent didn't bother the hawk at all. It came back even after I moved the chicken, but it wouldn't eat while I was watching.

View Album, click here to view in new window.
Choose Slideshow for full screen view.

No comments:

Click on any photo

for a larger view in a new window. Please don't use any content from this blog with out asking for permission.