Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Woman and Man's Best Friend...has passed away

Bela in Gash Creek - way up in the mountains I always wondered exactly what "a heavy heart" meant. I now know what it means for me in a poignant, piercing manner. Last night our beloved dog, Bela, passed away in her sleep. Finding her on her bed and realizing that she was "gone" was almost unbearable. I think my heart fell from my chest and shattered on the deck. Somehow, it is back in my chest, but is a heavy lump, sitting there, in the way...aching for Bela.

Yesterday we had taken a hike up one of our favorite ridges. Yes, she was almost 13 years old and her hips were getting stiff, but on the hike she was spry and as happy as usual to be out with us in the mountains. We were enjoying her golden years. She was alway a good dog but lately even better. She stayed in close proximitiy and always looked at us with adoring eyes as if to say, "Are you having as good a time as I am?" Tears flow, hearts ache, but that doesn't bring her back.

Thank you Bela for all you gave us, even in your passing. You wiBela in Sweathouse Creekll always be in my heart. You adored Jack (he spoiled you) and you loved me (after all, I fed you). I hope you know how much we loved you and will always miss you. They often say, "she was one of a kind." You were. There will never be another spirit as wonderful as you.


9 comments:

Unknown said...

Merle, Jack:

Pat and I are looking at each other with tears in our eyes after I showed her your email. We know exactly what you mean . . . a big hole in your life, ragged at the edges with regret, will slowly fill with memories. We hope they're all good ones that last and last. Dogs rule!

Robin & Pat

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Merle and Jack,
Very sorry to hear about Bela. I hope she went without pain. Martha and I met her when we visited Jack a couple of summers ago.
When we lost our Brittany, Daisy, in a tragic snow plow accident two winters ago, a friend wrote how blessed we are to have been given time with these wonderful creatures, what a gift they are in our lives. I do believe that.
Our best wishes to you and Jack and to your Bela.
Alan Pilkington and Martha Silva

Unknown said...

Hi Merle,
Our hearts go out to you and Jack. This is the down side of being a pet owner...we want them to stay forever. The upside for Bela was the lifestyle of adventure she shared with you guys. She was a HAPPY DOG! What a nice tribute for her on your blog.


One of these days we'll hook up.

Chin Up, Bill & Janice

Anonymous said...

oh Merle I'm so sorry to hear about your sweet dog Bela! I know what a hole that's going to be and how much you will miss your pal - I know how close I am to my kitties and what a special place our pets are in our lives, much more than pets really, good loyal friends! anyway, just wanted you to know we're thinking of ya - you have some great photo's of her, thanks for sharing.
we send our love!

Jodi and Ron

Anonymous said...

Merle and Jack, I am so very sad to hear about Bela. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Knowing you, I know she had a happy and wonderful life.I loved the pictures of her.You are so lucky you found each other.I know you enriched each other's lives beyond measure.
My dog Tres sleeps beside me every night. I think if I could choose, I would want her to pass like Bela did, in her sleep beside me.She is now almost 10 years old. I can't imagine my life without her.
Thanks for sharing the news and the pictures.
My very best wishes, Jim

Anonymous said...

This is very nice, Merle. Hope you're doing better...
XOX Beryl

Anonymous said...

Oh, Merle, my heart goes out to you. I'm so sorry. I was glad to read your blog but very sad at the heartache you are expressing. It's amazing what an empty spot they leave. You cannot believe how much their
life is entwined with ours; they are so very precious, personal and as you say "adoring". That had to be a big shock to you. God Bless!

Anonymous said...

Oh Merle and Jack,

I am so very sorry!~ I am crying my eyes out as I type this message. All I can say, which often I am corny, it that truly someday we will all be together; you see there will be many great walks ahead!~ Bela will have the same wonderful message in her eyes stating I am having so much fun, only it will be in a much better, peaceful place.

I wish I could take your pain away. I love you so!!!!!

Gayle

Click on any photo

for a larger view in a new window. Please don't use any content from this blog with out asking for permission.