Sunday, February 15, 2009

The Chicken and the Egg

Chicken photo I love birds and that goes for chickens, too. They are good companions and not to difficult to keep once you set up a coop and pen. I designed my coop so I have an entry room. In that room, I can open a piece of the wall to gather eggs from the egg boxes with out going inside the actual chicken house. There is a built in, self-loading feed compartment that holds one 40 pound sack of layer pellets. Just make sure they have plenty of water and you and the chickens are all set.

Clean the straw out of the coop 2 to 4 times a year, depending on how much mess they make. Use the soiled straw in your compost. Once aged, it makes a great soil conditioner and fertilizer.


eggs photoI like to let them free range during the day, but when they return to roost in the chicken house at night, I close the pen to keep predators out.

The eggs are wonderful. The yolks area a dark yellow, almost orange and the whites are firm, not runny like store bought eggs. They are well worth the effort.

In the slideshow are some of my chickens and some of my neighbor's, Amy Sage, chickens. She has quite a setup, too. Currently, she has goats. She is interested in giving the goats away. Any takers???

No comments:

Click on any photo

for a larger view in a new window. Please don't use any content from this blog with out asking for permission.