Sunday, June 14, 2009

Indian Blanketflower or Firewheel


Gaillardia pulchella (Asteraceae) The common name of this annual is Indian Blanketflower, Firewheel, or Sundance. It has volunteered near a mountain road I use to access one of my hikes. As I took a short cut through a meadow/field, I saw one other site with this flower - also in full sun. It really stands out because it is the only flower on this hike that has bright orange or maroon in it.

The branching stem is hairy and upright, growing to about 1 1/2 or 2 feet tall. The 1-2 inch long leaves are alternate and mostly basal (low on the stem) with edges smooth to coarsely toothed or lobed. The pinwheel, daisy-like flower clusters are 1-2 inches in diameter and vividly colored with red, orange and yellow. The central disc florets of the flowerhead tend to be more red-violet, with the outer ray florets being yellow.

A hardy, drought tolerant annual native to the central United States, it seems to thrive in hot, dry sites. One of my sources says it is an excellent cut flower with a vase life from six to ten days. I haven't picked it because I enjoy it so much in the wild and there are only a few at this site. Maybe I will order seeds and give it a try at home.

For more photos, see my SmugMug Indian Blanketflower/Firewheel slideshow.

No comments:

Click on any photo

for a larger view in a new window. Please don't use any content from this blog with out asking for permission.