Friday, June 12, 2009

Elk Cows, Calves and a few young bulls

small elk herd
I have been hiking a closed road area where I have seen elk cows and calves in years past. It is quite a steep, long hike which is good for me, but takes a while. For days now, I have been quietly walking through the woods looking for the new calves. I see plenty of birds and deer, but so far no elk.

Well, today, when I get down to the valley floor, and to my surprise I saw a group of about 14 cows, 7 calves, and maybe 5 young bulls. They were milling around in a grassy meadow and stayed long enough for me to get quite a few photos. I will post one today and add a slideshow later.


Click on the photo to see it in a new, larger window. It is worth it!

2 comments:

Vietnam War History said...

Excellent photo! I'm always impressed by the way that their gentle nature is evidenced by their facial expressions.

Unknown said...

Thanks! Me too. When I post the slideshow, I will try to get the face of the "lead cow." She is intense. And will try to show some of the "young boys."

Click on any photo

for a larger view in a new window. Please don't use any content from this blog with out asking for permission.